The weaving workshop
The workshop was created at the end of the 19th century on the
corner where the Rue Lebrun meets the Rue Justin Godart, occupied
successively by Mr Rochard then Mr Ressicaud (in 1925).
The traditional setting of a weaving workshop
It is the last remaining workshop from the thousands of weaving
workshops, which were set in the area. It has great dimensions (10
m x 7 m), with 5 big windows. This space enabled 4 looms to be
installed, as well as a living space just next to them (in a
mezzanine). The workshop has then a small kitchen, located just
apart from the looms, and which has a stone sink.
This stone sink was used for the meals, but it was also used for a
professional activity: steaming the threads is indeed necessary
for the creation of certain fabrics. A small bedroom was set on
the upper floor: there was a bed and one or two straw mattresses.
The bill of sell dating from 1924 contains also a loft (a sort of
bedroom under the roof for apprentices and trainees) and a cave
(this cave was used to stock coal for heating. From the workshop a
door leads to the toilets, which were common to all the
inhabitants from the three workshops that were located on the
ground floor. There still remains a well in the courtyard.
The height of the looms is very impressive (5 metre), and it is
even more impressive to have a look at the massive oak beams on
the ceiling... The windows create great openings as they take
about half the space of the wall.
It is a real functionally fitted workshop, and the architecture
from the beginning of the 19th century is very resistant. That’s
why many “trendy people” like it a lot to transform the old
workshops into modern apartments.